Thursday, January 31, 2013

Tenses angloanlolink



Present simple TENSE

Present Perfect TENSE
He/She/It+ has+pastparticiple+….
I/We/You/They+have+pastparticiple+….

Present continuous TENSE
I+ am + v.ing +…..
He/She + is + v.ing +…..
You/They/We + are + v.ing+…..

Present perfect continuous TENSE
I/We/You/They + have + been + v.ing+….
He/She/It+ has + been + v.ing+...

Present continuous vs. Present perfect continuous tense.
I am working here for 2 years. (W)
I have been working here for 2 years.

I study English for 6 months. (W)
I have been studying for 6 months.

We are waiting since 2 o’clock. (W)
We have been waiting since 2 o’clock.

He is doing his home work since he woke up. (W)
He has been doing his home work since he woke up.

Present perfect continuous tense vs. Present perfect tense.
I have waited for half an hour. (W)
I have been waiting for half an hour.

He has slept since 9 o’clock. (W)
He has been sleeping since 9 o’clock.

It has been snowing twice the week. (W)
It has snowed twice the week.

She has been writing many books. (W)
She has written many books.

Present perfect tense Vs. Past tense.
We have bought this car two months ago. (W)
We bought this car two months ago.

I have slept well last night. (W)
I slept well last night.

She has met him when she was at school. (W)
She met him when she was at school.

I already called him. (W)
I have already called him.

She just came back. (W)
She has just come back.

Prices went up this month. (W)
Prices have gone up this month.



Action Verbs:
Play, come, go, look, talk, wait, etc.

State Verbs:
Be, have, exist, know, belong, understand, believe, etc.
State verbs do not take continuous tense, only simple tenses.

I am being tired now. (W)
I am tired now.

I have been being tired all day. (W)
I have tried all day.

I am having red car. (W)
I have red car.

I have been having this car since 2006. (W)
I have had this car since 2006.

I am knowing this man. (W)
I know this man.

I have been knowing him for many years.
I have known him for many years.

FOUR tricky verbs (Have/Think/Live/Work)
(1)    Have
Have=own (state verb)
I have a red car.

Have=take/experience (action verb)
Have breakfast: I am having breakfast.
Have a good time: They are having good time.

(2)    Think
Think = believe (state verb)
I think you are right.

Think=reflect (action verb)
I have been thinking about selling my house.

(3)    Live
Live (state or action)
I have been living here for ten years. = I have lived here for 10 years.
(4)    Work
He has been working there since 2008. = He has worked there since 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment